The Quarterly Mobile Index (QMI) report was created to provide both publishers and advertisers with key insights into the mobile advertising industry. By analyzing the billions of daily impressions that flow through our platform, we are able to observe real-time developments in the mobile space that allude to broader digital industry trends. To provide best-in-class mobile tools and services, we believe that information sharing is crucial in aligning the digital industry towards best practices and ultimately growth in mobile.
In the Q4 2015 report, PubMatic uncovered that advertisers are directing spending to higher-quality inventory, especially through more transparent mobile private marketplaces (PMPs). Industry leading stakeholders are eradicating suspect impressions on a global level and, as a result of this industry shift to quality, premium publishers are garnering higher prices for their inventory and attracting more mobile ad spend, effectively closing the mobile gap between mobile ad spending and mobile media consumption. Five specific key trends emerged from the report:
- Advertiser demand shifts towards higher-quality mobile PMP inventory to target mobile-obsessed holiday shoppers. Advertisers increasingly sought higher-quality mobile inventory to target holiday shoppers on mobile devices, as evidenced by mobile private marketplace volume spikes.
- By vertical, retail and technology spending drove PMP growth. Within mobile private marketplaces, the retail and technology verticals showed major volume gains ahead of Black Friday shopping, demonstrating that e-commerce and consumer technology sales likely drove ad spending.
- Opportunity for mobile growth remains strong on a global scale. The Americas and Europe, Middle East and Africa (EMEA) represented the largest opportunities in terms of volume, but the Asia Pacific (APAC) region was the fastest-growing mobile opportunity.
- The Android app ad awakens. Android app ads increased the most in terms of both price and volume, while CPMS increased across all mobile platforms, including IOS app, mobile web and tablet web.
- Mobile gap remains closed. Mobile CPMs are still higher than desktop CPMs, and both mobile and desktop CPMs grew a healthy 36% year-over-year.
We hope you find this report to be informative and thought provoking. Please feel free to reach out to discuss the report with your PubMatic sales representative or contact PubMatic and someone will follow up.