Choosing the right in-app header bidding solution helps you scale demand and improve the user experience of your app. However, to get the most out of your solution, it’s important to evaluate your broader monetization strategy. The below suggestions can serve to as a quick guide to grow your programmatic revenue through in-app header bidding for improved monetization and inventory growth.
- Pass the right parameters: Check that these important parameters are populated in the ad requests: App bundle, app store URL, advertising ID (IDFA or GAID), user gender, age, keywords, location (country, postal code, and GPS-based lat/long), and device info (OS, make, and model). Having the above information accurately included in the ad request makes your inventory more desirable.
- Re-evaluate your ad unit mix: If you are only running full screen interstitials / rewarded videos, consider using 320×50 or 300×250 banners. They are less obtrusive and you will be pleasantly surprised when you learn how much revenue it can generate. If you are running 300×250 banner ad unit, consider enabling 300×250 video. We are seeing more and more publishers take advantage of OpenWrap SDK’s ability to mix the video and display ads for 300×250 ad unit, which boosts both fill rate and eCPM.
- Evaluate viewability measurability of your ad units: There is a growing demand for viewable mobile ad inventory. Are your ads viewability measurable? You can assess this by checking out if your mobile ad solutions have Open Measurement SDK integrated. Some mobile monetization partners (like PubMatic) provide viewability reports for your mobile in-app inventory via portal.
- Improve transparency with app-ads.txt: There are industry standards and providers that can help developers combat digital ad fraud and gain the trust of marketers. One of the first measures of prevention should be the adoption of app-ads.txt. App-ads.txt is the version of ads.txt for mobile in-app and OTT advertising. It relies on the publisher URL, available on app store HTML pages, as the crawler-friendly, trusted source and combats app spoofing.
- Integrate a CMP solution: Make sure you have your Consent Management Platform (CMP) solution properly implemented to ensure compliance with GDPR and CCPA. Mobile in-app CMP SDKs can be used for collecting user consent for user data use. The collected user consent information is shortened to a consent string. You can then pass on the GDPR and CCPA consent strings to mobile monetization SDK when it makes the ad request.
While running a self-assessment of the above best practices will improve your programmatic opportunities, it’s also important to have ad tech partners that will help you grow and increase your demand. To learn more about PubMatic’s OpenWrap SDK technology and our mobile solutions for developers, contact us or visit our documentation page.