Following a global study commissioned in 2018, PubMatic commissioned Digital InFact to take a deeper dive into how media buyers in Japan plan and execute in-app advertising. The findings of this study provide a blueprint for steps publishers, buyers and tech providers can take to see this format realize its full potential in Japan.
Key findings from the research include:
- In-app spend accounts for an average of 28% of digital ad budgets in Japan.
- Excluding walled garden apps such as facebook and LINE, the most popular app verticals among media buyers are News (71.4%), Health/Lifestyle (50%) and Gaming (40.5%).*
- The primary purpose of in-app advertising differs according to buyer type – with branding being the primary objective for brand advertisers vs. app installation for agencies
- While 50% of media buyers say that they buy in-app ads on Facebook, Twitter, LINE and Google APP Campaigns, only 16% use a DSP to buy in-app ads programmatically.
- Concerns over inventory quality are key reasons that prevent media buyers from transacting on in-app inventory programmatically**, with 51% citing brand safety concerns and 48% citing ad fraud.
Download the full study for additional insights and recommendations.